AEROLAB is seeking a qualified candidate to fill a Mechanical Designer position. The candidate will be responsible for creating 3D CAD models and fabrication drawings of components and assemblies in coordination with the company’s design and mechanical engineering team
This is a full-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate is expected to perform the following routine functions:
- Proper interpretation of design specifications, drawings, and schematics.
- Create and maintain engineering CAD models in SolidWorks.
- Provide engineering support by creating parts and assemblies in SolidWorks, along with detailed fabrication and installation drawings.
- Perform design studies, tolerance stack-ups and drafting checks.
- Maintain engineering bill of material.
- Coordinate with the company’s mechanical engineers for structural analysis and FEA when required.
- Function as part of a Product Design Team following the guidance provided by design and project engineers.
- Proficient in SolidWorks with experience designing parts and assemblies and creating drawings.
- Proficient in GD&T and various methods of tolerance analysis.
- Strong knowledge of sheet metal design and fabrication.
- Strong knowledge of design for CNC machining.
- Experience in design of machinery components and systems.
- Familiarity with motion control systems is strongly preferred.
- Experience in computer aided drafting techniques and standard engineering practices.
- Familiarity with engineering terminology.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and Word Processing software.
- Good time management skills, high work ethics.
- Positive contributor to team participation.
- Focused, methodical with good analytical skills.
- Familiarity with machine shop practices and associated equipment is a plus.
- Ability to handle multiple activities to meet target dates.
- Able to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in teams.
Education and Experience
- 4 Year degree in Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Technology
- 2 Year degree and 2+ years of experience in Mechanical Design
- 4+ Years of experience in Mechanical Design
Location and Travel
- The position is based at Aerolab’s main facility in Jessup, MD.
- No offsite travel is expected.
We are seeking well-rounded, team players with both the technical and people skills the thrive in a company that’s producing cutting edge aerodynamic research equipment.