AEROLAB is seeking a qualified candidate to fill a Mechanical Engineer position. The candidate will be responsible for component and system level design and engineering of wind tunnel equipment in coordination with the company’s design and mechanical engineering team. Primary responsibilities will include performing Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on systems and components using SolidWorks Simulation as well as performing design optimization for mechanical performance.
This is a full-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate is expected to perform the following routine functions:
- Proper interpretation of design specifications, drawings, and schematics.
- Perform structural analysis and FEA using SolidWorks Simulation for cases with linear static loads and non-linear loads.
- Perform modal analysis for calculation of fundamental frequencies and for design modifications to shift fundamental frequencies as required.
- Perform fatigue analysis for rotating and non-rotating components with a variety of loading patterns.
- Calculate reaction forces and prepare interface drawings identifying reaction forces.
- Create and maintain engineering CAD models in SolidWorks.
- Provide engineering support by creating parts and assemblies in SolidWorks, along with detailed fabrication and installation drawings when required.
- Perform design studies, tolerance stack-ups and drafting checks.
- Size and configure mechanical systems.
- Calculate loads and load transfers.
- Function as part of a Product Design Team following the guidance provided by design and project engineers.
- Proficient in SolidWorks with experience designing parts and assemblies and creating drawings.
- Proficient in SolidWorks simulation with experience in linear static, non-linear, modal, and fatigue analysis.
- Proficient in GD&T and various methods of tolerance analysis.
- Knowledge of sheet metal design and fabrication.
- Knowledge of design for CNC machining.
- Familiarity with rotating machinery including fans and drive systems.
- Experience in design of machinery components and systems.
- Experience in computer aided drafting techniques and standard engineering practices.
- Familiarity with engineering terminology.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and Word Processing software.
- Good time management skills, high work ethics.
- Positive contributor to team participation.
- Focused, methodical with good analytical skills.
- Familiarity with machine shop practices and associated equipment is a plus.
- Ability to handle multiple activities to meet target dates.
- Able to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in teams
Education and Experience
- 4 Year degree in Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Technology
- 4+ years of experience as a Mechanical Engineer or Mechanical Designer
- PE / EIT license is strongly preferred
Location and Travel
- The position is based at AEROLAB’s main facility in Jessup, MD.
- Occasional offsite travel to customer sites may be required.